Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Almost Forgot

This is the first day in a few that I almost forgot to post.
I've gotten beyond the insistence that I post every single day -- blew that goal last month -- but I have to say I am finding satisfaction in writing here.
I also know that most of my recent postings have been comments on things I have read, and I have to say that I didn't read anything inspiring this morning. The New York Times was pretty wet, and not a pleasure to sit down with, although I did make an attempt.
And then the morning was cut in half by my doctor appointment.
Good news there -- diabetes under good control.
I need to get back to the gym and to remember to take my fish oil capsules every day. Cholesterol was the only problem area.
I was told I have the blood pressure of a teenager.

*****

Top 10 List.
Some of my favorite movie critics -- David Edelstein, Stephanie Zacharek, Charles Taylor -- are doing a back-and-forth on Slate this week about the films of 2004. There are many, many I have not seen, but there are only a few that stand out in my mind as worthy of comment.
Here goes my list:
  1. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind -- For the amazing depiction of loss. Loss of love, loss of memory, loss of happiness. I've never seen anything quite like it. Charlie Kaufmann and Michel Gondry have made a classic.
  2. Before Sunset -- This has got to be the most romantic movie I have ever seen. More so even than Before Sunrise, although together they are a perfect pair of films. Best moment: Julie Delpy's description of a Nina Simone concert, and her imitation of Simone walking across the stage. Second best moment: Ethan Hawke's expression in the final shot. Two near-perfect performances in a lovely movie.
  3. The documentaries of Robert Greenwald -- Not all of these were released in 2004, but I became aware and saw each of them this year: Unprecedented, Unconstitutional, Uncovered, Outfoxed. Four superb political films documenting the treachery and hubris of the George W. Bush administration. The Sundance Channel on cable aired many of these, and I purchased or rented most from Amazon and my local library. But I have to believe that not enough people saw them, or we would not be in the mess we are in right now.

A few other films were somewhat interesting but not in the class of the above: Garden State, Mean Girls, The Door In The Floor, Fahrenheit 911.

I think that's it. I haven't seen any of the Christmas season movies, although I very much want to see Hotel Rwanda. Possibly Closer and Sideways. Not much else strikes me as interesting. I'll probably watch Ray and Million Dollar Baby when they turn up on cable, but I doubt I'll pay money to see them. Last year, I looked forward to seeing Mystic River, Clint Eastwood's previous movie, and was sorely disappointed when I finally did. Great performances, but plodding and undistinguished otherwise. Despite all the praise for Million Dollar Baby, something tells me it will fall into the same boat.

Worst movies of the year? I found Dodgeball to be surprisingly bad, even for a dumb comedy aimed at teenaged boys. On the other hand, Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle was surprisingly enjoyable for a dumb comedy aimed at teenaged boys. And Seed of Chucky was surprisingly funny for a bad horror movie -- Jennifer Tilly is a very good sport.