Saturday, April 09, 2005

Triangle of Death

Protesters by the thousands took to the streets of Baghdad to mark the second anniversary of the overthrow of Saddam Hussein, and what did they chant: "No, No to America!"
Right-wingers will either lambaste those ungrateful Iraqis or claim that they are a small minority of trouble-makers whose presence has been vastly overstated by the "liberal" media (CNN liberal?! News to me. But even the Faux News website acknowledges there were tens of thousands of protesters)
Whom did the protesters collectively call the "Triangle of Death"? Saddam Hussein, George W. Bush and Tony Blair. Yes, in the minds of the Iraqi people, these three are moral equivalents. How could this be?
Unlike the Bush administration and its right wing-nut slavies, the Iraqi populace is smart enough to know that replacing an illegitimate despot with an illegitimate military occupation is no cause for celebration, and not a model for democratization.
As Jimmy Carter so aptly said:
"It was false to state that Saddam Hussein had a vast store of weapons of mass
destruction or that Iraq was a direct threat to the security of the United
States. The war has been unnecessary. And now I think we've reached a point in
Iraq that it's become a quagmire – very similar to what we experienced in
Vietnam. There's no real extrication for us to accomplish the goals that we had
when we went in. I think a lot of the violence in Iraq now is directly
attributable to the fact that U.S. forces are there. And there's no clear
concept at any early stage of when they will be withdrawn. I personally do not
believe they're going to be ready for the election in January. But I think we
should go through the election and as soon as there's some tangible semblance of
a democratic government in Iraq, get us out of there.”

Yes, I know there were elections. No, I do not believe they accomplished a lot. Iraq is still a quagmire. George W. Bush and his band of idiots have no idea how to extricate the United States and stop the bloodshed. I'd love to be proven wrong, but screaming at me and calling me a traitor won't convince me.