Wednesday, January 04, 2006

A New Year For Blogging

Welcome to 2006.
As I look back over the first year of this blog, what I see primarily is my loss of energy and interest in posting. I have gone from daily posts to roughly weekly posts to -- most recently -- skipping an entire month.
It's not entirely that I've had nothing I've wanted to say, or that I've been too busy. Mostly, it's the case that I'm easily distracted.
I've had a few readers who started to become regulars, before either my lack of interesting content or lack of consistent new material turned them off. But I thank all of them for stopping by: iddybud, Oyster, Scott, Pusillanimous Wanker, JulieB, Francesca, JR and the others. Some of you have had consistent and interesting blogs yourselves. Others have suffered from the same inconsistencies of time and interest that I've been subject to.
I've done some interesting things in the past year: Started woodworking again after a lapse of almost a decade. Started writing fiction and poetry again after an even longer lapse (see The Practical Press for my infrequent posts there). In the last few months, I've even headed back to the gym with a vengeance. I'm not sure how long any of these refound interests will stick around -- but even if they wax and wane, they're fun while I'm focusing on them.
This year, I would like to set as a goal a weekly post on this blog with at least a little bit of substance. More than a comment or a link. Something that expresses some thought, some reflection -- which of course was the primary rationale for starting up this thing.
Here's to the new year.