Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Values and Resentment

I'm currently catching up on election season reading with "What's The Matter With Kansas?," Thomas Frank's interesting analysis of the Republican party's success in capturing the votes of people whose interests are actually antithetical to the Republican agenda.
Frank focuses on the "values" issues that got so much attention after the recent election. I'm only getting into the book, so I don't want to anticipate his arguments, but I wonder whether "values" are not intimately tied to the "angry white male" phenomenon that was written about extensively after previous elections. I probably should defer writing more on this subject until I have gotten the whole gist of Frank's argument, but I wanted to log this thought while it was on my mind.
That's what blogs are for, right?