Thursday, January 13, 2005

Raquel Welch, Scientist

As I wrote this morning about "intelligent design" and creationism, and made mention of the Raquel Welch movie One Million Years B.C., it struck me that for many of us in the age group that currently holds most of the political and corporate power in this country (I'm 48, 10 years younger than our president but I'm actually a college classmate of Grover Norquist, one of his most notorious power brokers), two Raquel Welch movies played a large role in our youths and our world views.
Raquel in that fur bikini in One Million Years B.C. is probably the predominant "sex symbol" image of our youths, but released just a year before this was Fantastic Voyage, in which Raquel and a group of fellow-scientists were shrunk to microscopic size so that they could course through a scientist's circulatory system and perform a medical miracle.
Now what could be better than having Raquel Welch careering through your innards?
There's got to be a fun article in this. I just have to figure it out.
By the way, I wrote earlier today that One Million Years B.C. shares a thesis with the "intelligent design" theorists. I misspoke. It actually shares a thesis with the "young Earth" theorists -- those who believe that humans and dinosaurs co-existed because they believe the Earth is no more than about 6000 years old. Sure, the title of the movie is a problem, but it was probably titled by some Hollywood liberal.
More important is that Ms. Welch and the filmmaking team demonstrated how large mammaries -- whoops, I mean mammals -- could have co-existed with the dinosaurs.
And why fur bikinis are cool.
In looking into this, I have stumbled across the name Kent Hovind, also known as "Dr. Dino," who operates a theme part in Pensacola, FL, dedicated to the idea that humans and dinosaurs roamed the earth together.
Here's some poop on him: http://home.austarnet.com.au/stear/kent_hovind_page.htm
I wonder if he knows about Fred Flintstone?