Monday, May 02, 2005

Attacking Laura

OK, so I got fooled by this item on the Swift Report. I'm as dumb as Matt Drudge. But, hey, it seemed totally believable to me so I'm leaving this post up. Anyway, the whole thing is funny and I'm in the mood for laughs today.

Here's what I wrote:
Have the Republicans lost their touch?
Today comes the news that the religious right is attacking Laura Bush over her comedy routine at the White House Correspondents Association dinner Saturday night. Her offense? She failed to show proper respect for newly crowned gay icon "Boy" George W. Bush in her remarks, violating the biblical command that wives be subservient to their husbands.
Well, it's about time the Republicans got caught in their trap. Play to the center, get tripped up by the right. Play to the right, get tripped up by the center. Cool.
Let's the rest of us -- those who can't wake up in the morning without being on the wrong side of the right -- just sit back and enjoy the show.

And here's the truth behind the report. Maybe -- I'd still rather believe it's true. And while the right-wingnuts are saying Dems are stupid and will believe anything, no matter how far-fetched, I say this item wasn't far-fetched at all. It's just as believable as the words that come out of Bill Frist's foul mouth, or anything that Jerry Falwell or Pat Robertson or, for that matter, George W. Bush, has ever said.